Gratin Dauphinois or Potato Dauphinois is a very popular French side dish. The recipe comes from the South-east region. Most french restaurant menu have this dish as a side item in their menu. Although it’s a restaurant favourite item, it not difficult to make and enjoy it at home. The original recipe takes a bit long time to prepare, this is a cheat one which saves a lot of time but does not compromise in taste.
The dish is prepared in two steps. First step is cooking in stove for few minutes which helps the potatoes bake faster at step two.
For making Dauphinoise I have some Morris piper potatoes here today. First peel all the potatoes and then make thin slices. I like to use a food processor for this job as it gets me evenly sliced potatoes which bake at the same time. Now begins the first part which is cooking the potatoes. In a pan Take all potato slices and add onions to it. Add double cream and spice it up with some salt, black pepper powder. Crush garlic cloves and add it to the pan along with bay leaf. The flavour of garlic makes the dish aromatic. Finally grate just a pinch of nutmeg and add. Add around 1/4 cup of water and stir everything. Cook in medium heat until it boils and then put lid on and cook for 6 minutes.
While potatoes are cooking, pre-heat oven to 425°F/ 220° C.
After 6 minutes, turn off heat and transfer everything into a baking dish, level it. Add a layer of Parmesan cheese on top.
And then put in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until there’s a golden crust ion top.
Take the dish out from oven and give it a 5-10 minutes rest if you can resist.
- Potatoes - 600g
- Onion - 1 medium
- Double Cream - 130ml
- Parmesan Cheese - 40g
- Bay leaf - 1
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder - 1 tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Nutmeg - pinch
- Peel all the potatoes and then make thin slices.
- In a pan take all potato slices and add onions to it. Add double cream, salt, black pepper powder, crushed garlic cloves, bay leaf, pinch of nutmeg and Parmesan cheese.
- Add around ¼ cup of water and stir everything. Cook in medium heat until it boils.
- Put lid on and cook for 6 minutes.
- After 6 minutes, turn off heat and transfer everything into a baking dish.
- Add Parmesan layer on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until there's a golden crust ion top.
- Take the dish out from oven and give it a 5-10 minutes rest if you can resist.